Lifestyle Uncategorized

The reading list {Life}

September 9, 2015
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My friends will totally vouch for this one, but I’m a total fail when it comes to reading. I love it – don’t get me wrong – but the darn internet seems to have ruined my brain and means I am now more often found mindlessly scrolling twitter or clicking on yet another ‘OMG such-and-such does NOT look like THIS anymore’ link… I don’t care, yet I still click, what’s up with that?! But I am determined to get back into reading again so have pulled together a list of books I want to read, plus a few of my favourites in case you’re after some reading list inspiration too.
holiday reading list

Of course, in typical fashion this would have been perfectly timed ahead of summer holiday times so people could lounge by pools and soak up something not courtesy of the internet. But still, life got in the way so perhaps go for more of a cosy cofa and chunky knitted jumper paired with some hot chocolate instead of a bikini and cocktail by the pool…

The Reading List: Books I want to read (…potentially by the end of 2015)

I’ll never write my memoirs ~ Grace Jones

Ok, starting out with a somewhat random one. But seriously, how interesting must this be!? I can only imagine some of the stories someone like Grace Jones has to tell about her life. Just reading the description on this has me wanting to know more! I’m one of those people who is very prone to having a little google/Wikipedia read about famous people when they pop into my head as I like to know a bit of background – so this has me curious and I want to read more.

Luckiest Girl Alive ~ Jessica Knoll

This is a book I have actually been sent a hardback copy of this – it’s been so long since I read a hard back novel! But I was sent some info and it sounded right up my street so wanted to give it a whirl. I haven’t read much of it yet as only started it at the weekend but it’s all about a girl with a ‘perfect’ present but a dark past – who opens up about it and then faces the consequences… I’ll let you know how I get on! If you have read it then let me know what you thought.

The Husbands Secret ~Liane Moriarty

I have this one ready and waiting on my kindle. The idea of a moral dilemma that leaves you between a rock and a hardplace always gets me – as the book description promises, if you like Jodi Picoult (whom I used to absolutely love reading but more on this in a moment) then this is for you.

Nineteen Minutes & The Storyteller~ Jodi Picoult

As above, I used to be totally hooked on Jodi Picoult novels but then the formula got a little stale and maybe went from believeable to a bit far-fetched for my tastes. So I moved on to other things. In case you haven’t read them, in general Jodi Picoult books are shaped around an event that has some sort of two (or more) sided story where you can see there’s a moral/legal/ethical debate basically and then you see it unfold. Having taken a bit of a break from Picoult there are a couple now making it back on to my reading list to see if they’re as good as I remember from the first time I read them.

A few favourites I’d recommend:

The Girl on The Train ~ Paula Hawkins

I’m usually rubbish with books that have all the buzz (I still haven’t read Harry Potter – any of them – or something like The Davinci Code). But this one I read, and was gripped from start to finish. It has twists and turns that you don’t see coming and that’s what I loved about it. I won’t spoil the ending, but it’s an interesting one. The ending wasn’t my favourite bit actually, but the overall experience was worthwhile.

Dark Places ~ Gillian Flynn

Yep, Gillian Flynn of Gone Girl fame. I liked Gone Girl (apart from the ending… again) but Dark Places I loved. Very dark (as the name would suggest) and one I didn’t pre-guess the ending of at all. Really good book and one I struggled to put down when I got into.

Before I go to Sleep ~ S J Watson

I read this before I knew there was a film of it. It took me a while to get into it and I was very confused for a lot of it, but I think it was somewhat the point. I read this on honeymoon actually and the idea of your husband feeling like a stranger was very bizarre. I won’t spoil it, but this was one where I actually liked the ending….

Your suggestions?!

I’d love to know which other reads you might recommend?! Personally I love something with suspense but not horror, I love books set in the US and I love the odd trashy book too – although preferably not the sort of ‘bodice ripping’ type of trashy. I’m thinking more ‘Diary of a call girl’ or ‘Everyone worth knowing’ type of thing…

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kathryn O'Brien September 9, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Aw I love this little post! As an English student and blogger myself, I totally get what you mean. I love reading, but sometimes I lack the compulsion I used to have to pick up a new book and simply read for pleasure!

• Reply Jen September 10, 2015 at 6:52 am

Ah, can see how that can be annoying – I always loved the reading modules I did at Uni (I did American studies so it spread across all sorts of disciplines) but I’m so bad now at reading as there’s always something a bit more ‘immediate’ to do.

• Reply Laura September 9, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I set myself the target of one book a month and nine months in I’m on 6. Oops. I’m most often distracted by the internet but if I’m reading a book I don’t love then I’m even more easily distracted. Of recent reads I liked The Bees by Laline Paul and The Rosie Project by Graeme Simison. I’m currently reading Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel which got off to a slow start but now I’m into it I’m really enjoying it. It’s a good thought provoker. I’ve got The Woodcutter by Kate Delaney lined up next.

I am totally dreaming of a day snuggled up on the sofa with a hot chocolate (and chocolates…) but I have a feeling it might be during the Christmas holidays as there always seems to be something to do! :(

• Reply Jen September 10, 2015 at 6:48 am

I have heard good things about The Woodcutter – let me know if it’s any good! I think 6 out of 9 isn’t bad! I tend to read like a machine when on holiday, but when just at home I’m terrible! Determined to get more into it though. Might try the book a month approach for next year!

• Reply Geoff (aka Dad) September 13, 2015 at 11:55 am

I’ve read The Woodcutter and its brilliant. But the book I read was written by Reginald Hill. I cant’ find a book called The Woodcutter written by Kate Delaney but there may be one.

• Reply nueyork September 10, 2015 at 8:20 am

The Girl on the Train is on my reading list as well! x

nueyork.blogspot.com

• Reply Jen September 10, 2015 at 8:23 am

It’s really good! I found it especially amusing as I knew a lot of the areas/settings for it too!

• Reply Andrea September 10, 2015 at 8:22 am

I did not like the Lianne Morality book at all (never even made more than 5 chapters I think) which was so disappointing because I absolutely loved What Alice Forgot and read it twice during my lending period from the library. That’s the second one of hers I simply couldn’t get into. I recently read The Sudden Departure of the Frasers (set in London) which was good. Other than that I’ve been reading lots of books on the American Revolution (for a class), and Don Quixote (another class). I started Whiskey and Charlie but admit I haven’t had time to get very far with it because I’ve also been reading Lord of the Flies (with my son for his english class), and To Die For by Lucy Siegle a look at the way our clothes are made, who makes them, and just what ‘fast fashion’ costs us. For good (but not trashy) romance type books, try the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I read them years ago (before the tv series of last year). If you like historical fiction (set most in the 1740-70’s) and bit of time travel, there are currently 8 books in the series and each book averages about 700-1200 pages. It’ll keep you busy!

I tend to read about 5-6 books all at once, and definitely lean towards history, politics, or biography. I have no idea why I do that!

• Reply Jen September 10, 2015 at 8:25 am

I do love hearing from others about various books they have loved/hated – it’s always fascinating to hear if a book I’ve loved, someone else just didn’t get on with! Will make a note of What Alice Forgot though as that sounds interesting!

• Reply Andrea September 10, 2015 at 8:29 am

I thought of a few more (we recently moved and most of my books are in storage so I just thought of these). Where’d You Go Bernadette – very quirky but set in Seattle. Also a great one by Deb Caletti (also set in Seattle) He’s Gone.

• Reply Jen September 10, 2015 at 8:30 am

Ooh, shall look these up too! Thank you :) Love getting book suggestions!

• Reply Julie September 10, 2015 at 11:22 am

I loved Dark Places by Gillian Flynn! I read it in less than two days whilst on holiday at the beach. I liked Gone Girl, but I thought this was much better!

• Reply Bekki Tomkins September 14, 2015 at 9:43 pm

I absolutely loved The Husband’s Secret and What Alice Forgot. If you want to read books based in the U.S., I’d really recommend books by Diane Chamberlain, especially The Keeper of the Light. They’re based in North Carolina by the beach and are great for escapism.

It’s good to see all these suggestions – I’m always on the lookout for a good read!